In 1872, the first Finnish-language professional theatre was founded in Finland. The creation of the Finnish National Theatre was a direct retribution against Russian domination and resistance to the overriding Swedish-speaking culture. The theatre relocated to its current facility in Helsinki 30 years after its opening. At this time it acquired its name. The theater expanded in 1954, adding a second stage used primarily for modern drama. An additional stage was added in 1976 and the fourth stage in 1987. Today, while enjoying public funds, the theatre continues to be owned and operated by a private foundation. A vital part of its programming surrounds European classics. Plays featured at the facility also entail old and modern world classics. New international plays are also welcomed at the facility. The theatre is considered a gateway to the avant-garde of world drama. Most notably, the theatre is known for attracting young audiences and employing new, young talent. Overall, the Finnish National Theatre serves a vital role in the education of upcoming generations.